So, So, Simple Salmon
Serves : 1
Total Preparation Time: 20 minutes.
Region : Scottish
Gluten Free: Yes
Dairy Free: Yes
White Meat Only: Yes
No Seafood: No
1. Put the potatoes into a saucepan, cover with salted boiling water, and simmer covered over medium-high heat until tender, approximately 10-12 minutes.
2. Heat a heavy thick-based frying pan or griddle pan over a medium heat till almost smoking and then put in the salmon fillet (skin side down if you prefer with skin on) and leave to cook.
3. Meanwhile prepare the Tomato Herb Salsa; chop the tomato, onion and basil and combine with the chilli flakes. Place the salsa into a small serving dish and chill.
4. You will see the salmon cooking upwards from the hot frying pan, towards the top of the fillet. Have a warmed serving plate ready.
5. When the flesh is cooked almost to the top quickly flip over for about 1 minute and then serve crisp side down on the heated plates.
6. Leave the salmon to rest while you drain the potatoes well, return to the saucepan and steam over a low heat shaking the saucepan continuously.
7. Break up the potatoes using the back of a fork then toss in the oatmeal, season with sea salt and shake well together. Quickly place onto the heated serving dish and arrange a salmon fillet on top.
8. Place the small bowl of chilled Tomato Salsa on the plate, garnish with a fresh lemon wedge and some torn basil leaves and serve.
– This dish works very well on the barbecue too.
– For gluten-free, replace the oatmeal with gluten-free oatmeal (you can buy this from specialty stores) or cornmeal.
Quantity Ingredients Suggested Brand
2 tomatoes, small (approx 100g each) Average, all brands
100 g charlotte new potatoes Average, all brands
1 sprig fresh basil leaves Average, all brands
2 tbsp cereal, oatmeal Average, all brands
1 pinch chilli flakes Average, all brands
0.25 lemons, medium (approx 150g each) Average, all brands
1 pinch sea salt Average, all brands
0.5 red onions, small (approx 60g each) Average, all brands
115 g salmon fillets, boned and skinned Average, all brands